Thursday, June 19, 2008

Quick Thoughts



With zombie-like persistence, I return from the dead (undead?) to make a post... If I were a lesser person, I'd blame my lack of posts on the ubiquitousness of NBA playoff activity and my inability to follow that. But I'm not. I'm just lazy. There, I said it.


So I did not make BS's prediction come true - I did not get through a whole Lakers-Celtics game... However, I did catch the second half of Game 4, which was just ridiculous. Those Celtics just put on a clinic on how to play hoops. Felt great cause I do now and always had an irrational loathing/hatred of the Lakers. Probably stems from their constant dominance of my former sweethearts, the Sonics. But like the Sonics themselves, I've moved on from Seattle and basketball to the legal system... coincidence?


Baseball has managed to depress the hell out of me this year, and yet make me endlessly captivated. My Mariners are just unbelievably terrible. For the love, we have Jose Vidro(!!!) of all people batting 3rd! For a good summary of my thoughts on this, i suggest you look at two things. First, the fact that Vidro is currently in third to last place in the Major Frickin Leagues in OPS - trailing only Freddy Sanchez and Jason Bartlett. And second, go here http://ussmariner.com/2008/06/18/open-letter-to-mclaren-on-lineups/. Very eloquent pleading on behalf of the best Mariners blogger out there (well, both DMZ and Dave from USSMariner are great).


But the benefit of my Mariners sucking is that I can pay more attention to other teams. Like the seemingly plague infested Yankees - seriously, dude, is there something in the Yankee Stadium dugout that causes injuries? Maybe that Ortiz jersey in the new stadium is spreading some witch-like hex on all in the South Bronx that make upwards of 500,000 (surely every person in the South Bronx, right?)...


Or the DeeRays... I think it was their association with Beelzebub that was holding them back. Here's hoping they get the wild card. I think I may actually shit my pants if they win the division over the Sox, so I'll just root for the playoffs.


My prediction of DBacks over Injuns is looking questionable, due to the Indians abject failure to hit the ball. That pitching staff was looking ruhdonkulous for a while, but VMart and Hafner hitting a combined 4 hrs??? Who saw that coming? Cubbies are looking strong, but I fully expect a late season slide and Lou Piniella's head to literally explode somewhere between the dugout and second base, where he would have ripped out second base and actually eaten the whole damn thing. Highlights at 11!


And finally, early prediction for next year? Reds win the Central, Texas makes the playoffs (after making one or two big pitching pickups this off-season), Mariners still suck balls, the Rays mature and actually beat the Yanks and Sox outright, but the Yankees renew their bargain with the devil and, unlike the Rays, work it to their advantage and win the series. To be revisited...

No comments: